Why worry about where they play?
Young children are vulnerable
Young children and the unborn are especially vulnerable to many kinds of harmful chemicals.
- Children eat, drink and breathe more per pound of body weight than adults.
- Children’s organs and systems are continuously developing as they grow. Chemical exposure at certain points can have lifetime effects.
- Their behaviors are very different from adults. They put hands and objects in their mouths, live closer to the ground and have been known to eat dirt.
- Pesticide exposure to the very young can have immediate and long term health consequences.
Prevent unnecessary exposure to pesticides
- Studies of the long-term health effects of pesticide exposures in children are lacking, particularly for low-level exposures originating from food and the environment.
- However, some studies have shown long-term health effects like cancers, nervous system effects and reproductive effects for both mothers and fathers. Therefore, you and your family should try to minimize your exposure to pesticides. See the Pesticides Literature Review, the Ontario College of Family Physicians (PDF) for a summary.
Our environment is vulnerable
How to worry less – take a precautionary approach
In public places choose a play area that is managed with few to no pesticides.
At school or child care, you can ask about their pesticide use policy.