Call the Business Waste Line at 206-263-8899.
or email us
- To find out how to reduce your
risk and liability
- For more information on our
Businesses: Prepare for Floods
Manage your chemical products and wastes before flood season
Your business probably has hazardous materials. If they are released during a flood, they can contaminate flood waters. This can be hazardous to you, your employees, and the environment. Business owners are liable for any contamination and clean-up caused by hazardous products or wastes.
Use our services at no cost to reduce hazardous materials
Don’t stockpile hazardous materials
Store minimum amounts of hazardous materials during flood season. If this is not practical:
- Purchase the smallest amounts necessary.
- Use what you have and eliminate surplus materials.
- Dispose of hazardous waste before flood season.
- Keep an inventory of your hazardous materials for emergency responders.
- Write a spill plan for your hazardous materials. Have clean-up materials. Train your employees in the plan.
Store hazardous materials properly
- Keep products in their original containers if possible.
- Keep product and waste containers sealed and in good condition.
- Label all containers.
- Use waterproof containers.
- Secure equipment, supplies and containers so they cannot fall over, float away or break open.
- If practical and safe, store materials inside above flood levels such as on the second story or mezzanines.
Find more information to prepare for floods